Monday, March 26, 2012

Book Review: Chasing the Sun-- Tracie Peterson



Here is my very first book review. It is for the Historical Fiction Novel Chasing the Sun by Tracie Peterson. This is the first in a series of books entitled Land of the Lone Star.

Here is an excerpt:
When her father disappears in war-torn Mississippi, Hannah Dandridge finds herself responsible not only for her younger siblings but for the ranch her father recently acquired on the Texas plains. Though a marriage of convenience could ease her predicament, she determines to trust God for direction.
Wounded soldier William Barnett returns to his home only to discover that his family's ranch has been seized. Though angry and bitter at this turn of events, he's surprised to discover that it is a beautiful young woman with amazing fortitude who is struggling to keep the place running.
Hannah, desperate for help, and William, desperate to regain his family's land, form an uneasy truce. But nearby Comanche tribes, the arrival of Confederate soldiers, and a persistent suitor all threaten the growing attraction that builds between them. Will they be able to set aside their own dreams and embrace the promise of a future together?

-----------------------------------

This is the first historical book (fiction or nonfiction) that I have read in quite some time. I was pleasantly surprised at how interested I was when I read the first few chapters. I often found myself deeply entrenched in the life of Hannah; her trials and tribulations somewhat reminded me of my own life but in a more modern version. I felt for the girl and truly admired her bravery. There was something about her determination that I felt drawn to. Of course there was also the underlying love story to keep your attention focused. I love a little bit of love; there's something about wondering how things will turn out in the end that kept me going page after page. I didn't find this book to be action packed or heartracing, which one wouldn't expect from this genre or after reading the excerpt. However, with it's easy reading, unique characters and the reminder of how basic life once was it will surely be a pleaser in the end.

If you enjoy a little romance and a glimpse of the past, then Chasing the Sun is a good book for you!

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

No comments: